Just in time for your 4th of July celebration, here is an easy, fail-proof recipe for crowd-pleasing cupcakes. The recipe is free of 7 of the top 8 allergens. If you cannot have wheat, feel free to substitute the flour for a gluten-free mix like this one, from Cybele Pascal and Whole Living.
Ingredients for 12 cupcakes:
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or regular white vinegar)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I prefer Enjoy Life)
- 1/2 craisins, optional
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. Whisk together the rice milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Don't worry if after 5-10 minutes you see no curdles - it will turn out just fine.
3. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and orange extract, to the rice milk mixture and beat until foamy.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain. Add the chocolate chips.
5. Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes (closer to 10 minutes if making mini-cupcakes), until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.
Recipe adapted from: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero